grated peel of 1 medium lemon
4 tablespoons sugar
juice of 1/2 medium lemon
1. Peel four of the oranges, using a very sharp knife to remove both skin and pith.
2. Cut the oranges horizontally into thin slices and remove any seeds.
3. Put the slices in a bowl and then grate the lemon peel into the bowl.
4. Add the sugar.
5. Squeeze the other two oranges and add their juice to the bowl.
6. Cover the bowl with a plate and refrigerate for at least 4 hours, even overnight.
7. Serve chilled, turning the slices once or twice in the liquid before serving.